NEW HAVEN, CT (WFSB) – Police responded to a report of possible overdoses at a magnet school in New Haven on Friday afternoon.
They said they were called to the Bishop Woods School on Quinnipiac Avenue.
Mayor Justin Elicker also responded to the scene. He and police announced a news conference for 2 p.m. Stream it below:
Five students, ages 12 and 13, ingested what appeared to be candy that was brought in by a student and began vomiting, according to police.
Those students were transported to a hospital. All were alert and conscious. Their parents were informed of the situation.
Police said they are investigating what may have been in the candy.
Police investigating after 5 students @ Bishop Woods School in New Haven got sick and started vomiting after eating candy brought in by another student. The students were transported to the hospital. Police looking to see what may have been in candy. #WFSB pic.twitter.com/eWcUap8Zh9
— Matt McFarland (@MattMcFarland3) January 14, 2022
They conducted a sweep of the school and it appeared that no other children ingested the substance.
All other students at the school were ok and school resumed, police said. Social workers were said to be going to classes to talk to the students about what happened.
Channel 3 has a crew on the school.
Refresh this page and watch Eyewitness News for updates.
Copyright 2022 Gray Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved.